Vision and Patients with Atypical Neuro-development: Pearls of Optometry's Contribution to Solving the Puzzle
– How to perform a visual evaluation with non-neurotypical patients including considerations for office set-up and appropriate examination equipment.
– Understanding developmental considerations regardless of age.
– Developing a hierarchical framework to assess current developmental stage of non-neurotypical patients.
– Setting accurate expectations to skill level achievable in this patient population.
– Collaborating on creative ideas for use in vision therapy and what to avoid when working with this patient population.
– Assessing performance through progress evaluation (subjective and objective findings) and the therapy process.